Here are things you can do this month:
- Wednesday, June 7 - Heather Booth: Changing the World, a new documentary movie showing in DC at Avalon Theater. Heather Booth is a legendary, lifelong activist. She’s one of the most influential women you may never have heard of.
- Thursday, June 8 - Jon Ossoff for Congress phone bank, in Chevy Chase, DC. The GA6 Congressional special election is June 20. It will be close. Every call will count. Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to join us and we'll send you the address. Bring: Cell phone & charger, laptop OR tablet & charger, headset or earbuds with a mic (to make calling more comfortable). Walk-ins are welcome - bring along interested friends and family. For information on other phone bank opportunities. and feel free share this Volunteer Sign-Up Form with anyone who might be interested in joining our efforts.
- Monday, June 12 - Nope Neighbors meeting -- Our agenda (draft) includes discussion of the Virginia delegate races (flip VA from red to blue); Immigration (providing direct service to those in need); Climate change (now what??); Redistricting (focusing on races at all levels); Congress and the White House (leveraging Indivisible's guidance to our networks); DC Home Rule (with Chaffetz retiring, what next?); Book review and discussion (On Tyranny by Tim Snyder). RSVP to NopeNeighbors@gmail.com and we'll send the meeting location.
- Sunday, June 25 - Resist, Retreat, Resign? A Workshop for Federal Employees. At the Georgetown Public Library Meeting Room, 2:00-4:30 p.m. This workshop is with and for federal employees concerned about their rights under the new administration. Through discussions with experts in labor law, democracy, and federal workplace protections, attendees of this interactive planning & action session will: 1) learn more about their rights as private citizens and in the workplace; 2) strategize ways to build solidarity in their agencies; and 3) build networks across agencies. The workshop is "Chatham House" rules - off the record and what is said in the room stays in the room. No discussion of civil disobedience or any kind of illegal action.
- Hate Has No Home Here - Want a sign? We're going to order them once we know how many are needed. Reply to email@example.com and let us know how many you want. They make nice house gifts too. We expect the cost to be around $10.
- Bystander training - In Chevy Chase, DC, date TBD. See someone being harassed, but don't know what to do? Learn how to engage to help the one who is being attacked and diffuse the situation.